Tony Iommi Gibson SG Custom Monkey Relic left handed #8 of #25
A gorgeous Tony Iommi Gibson SG Custom Monkey Relic left handed #8 of #25. Replicated to the exact marks, wear etc as Tony’s original.
As legendary as the man who played it. Nicknamed “Monkey”, this is the cheeky chappy behind the original crushing metal tones Tony Iommi mastered as part of Black Sabbath in the ‘70s. Gibson have painstakingly recreated the famous Tony Iommi Gibson SG, detail to detail. From the modified stop tailpiece to the low powered pickups, this is a homage to one of the greatest metal guitarists ever.
It goes without saying, the Monkey is an extremely limited and highly sought-after Gibson guitar. Only 50 exist worldwide – 25 left-handed and 25 right-hand. Reserve yours now to make sure it ends up in your collection.
The Monkey is designed to look exactly like the original SG Special from the ground up. Additionally, all the wear and tear, original tailpiece holes and monkey sticker make their way onto the Custom Gibson.
The oversized low output pickups are hand-wound by an apprentice to the late, great master luthier John Birch; the go-to man for the likes of Tony Iommi, bandmate Geezer Butler and Queen’s Brian May. These pickups deliver the doomy, engulfing sound heard on Sabbath’s early releases.
Body woods include standard SG appointments – the matching mahogany body and neck, and a rosewood fretboard fitted with the zero fret allowing open strings to blend perfectly with fretted notes.
Words from Tony Iommi
“Recently I was invited to Nashville by Cesar and JC who I must tell you are so enthusiastic and passionate. Furthermore, I had the opportunity to go to the factories, meet the people that work there, and I saw how dedicated they all are.
“Gibson guitars have lifted a million times, with the new team being totally involved and that’s what’s been missing in Gibson for a long time now. There’s no stopping them, which is great for all of us guitar players.”
- Gibson Body Shape: SG
- Body Material: 1-Piece Solid Mahogany
- Binding: Fingerboard 1-Ply Cream
- Weight Relief: None
- Finish: Nitrocellulose Lacquer (Aged)
- Material: Solid Mahogany
- Profile: Recreated from Scan of Original (Medium C)
- Scale Length: 24.75″ / 628.65mm
- Fingerboard Material: Indian Rosewood, Hide Glue Fit
- Fingerboard Radius: 12″
- Number Of Frets: 22
- Frets: Dunlop 6190
- Nut Material: Bone w/ Zero Fret
- Nut Width: 1.69″ / 42.85mm
- End of Board Width: 2.24″ / 56.89mm
- Inlays: Pearloid Dot
- Joint: Long Tenon, Hide Glue Fit
- Finish: Chrome – Aged
- Tuner Plating: Chrome – Aged
- Bridge: Adjustable Wrap-Around
- Saddle Material: Brass
- Tailpiece: Stud Anchors Only
- Tuning Machines: Schaller M6
- Pickguard: Black 5-Ply Wide Bevel
- TrussRod: 2-way Adjustable
- Truss Rod Cover: 3-Ply Black/White/Black
- Control Knobs: Black Witch Hats w/ Silver Inserts
- Switch Tip: Black
- Switchwasher: Thin Black
- Control Covers: Black
- Strap Buttons: Aluminum
- Mounting Rings: Custom John Birch
- Pickup Covers: Chrome Engraved
- Neck Pickup: John Birch “Superflux”
- Bridge Pickup: John Birch P-90
- Controls: 2 500K CTS Volume Pots, 2 500K CTS Tone Pots, Hand-Wired Harness
- Pickup Selector: 3-Way Switchcraft
- Output Jack: Switchcraft
- Strings: .010, .013, .017, .026, .036, .046
- Case: 1960s Replica Black/Yellow Hardshell
- Accessories: Certificate of Authenticity, Replica Heavy Leather Strap, Replica Silver Cross Necklace in Coffin